Norfolk Southern Division Manager Operating Practices - Gulf (All Locations) in United States
Division Manager Operating Practices - Gulf (All Locations)
Apply now »
Date:May 26, 2023
Company: Norfolk Southern Corp.
Requisition 35987 : B4 Division Manager Operating Practices - Gulf (All Locations)
A resume helps you stand out to hiring managers and recruiters; your resume communicates your experience and your brand. While it is not required, we encourage you to include an up-to-date resume along with a completed job application to give you the best opportunity to be considered. A complete resume helps us to better understand your unique background, relevant experiences, and passions. We look forward to learning about you.
The Division Manager Operating Practices will be responsible for ensuring efficient and effective operations within one of Transportation’s Operating Divisions. This role will ensure safe, efficient, and effective operating practices compliant with FRA regulations.
• Conduct an analysis of safety data (injuries, accident/incidents, efficiency testing) for designated locations and identify areas of concern or best practices in preparation for joint field assessment
• Serves as a consistent face in crew rooms across the division to increase proactive start-of-shift interactions and safety briefings, execute micro-training and strengthen our culture of safety.
• Oversees and serves as team lead on joint field assessments with departmental division leaders to determine the level of compliance with Norfolk Southern's safety and operating rules and practices to maintain the safety of operations.
• Conducts field assessments with division leaders to determine level of compliance with Federal Regulations related to Norfolk Southern’s safety and operating rules and practices.
• Root Cause Analysis - Communicates results of joint field assessments to management and provides recommendations for remediation, if needed. Includes content development: training slides, rules, process and procedure revision
• Prepares and evaluates the joint field assessments and conducts a gap analysis of the accident/injury data and efficiency test and inspection records.
• Provides data and analysis to division leadership for communicating the results of joint field assessments to local and departmental management.
• Identifies compliance trends and provides recommendations for remediation, such as individual or system training, increased monitoring activity, rule changes, or awareness/communication initiatives, etc.
• Identifies best practices and makes recommendations for system application, including any necessary safety or operating rule changes or training.
• Serves as a member of the Operating Rules Committee (ORC) to provide information regarding field operating practices and safety and operating rules compliance levels. Provide recommendations to the ORC regarding proposed rule changes.
• Serves as a subject matter expert to field operations regarding safety and operating rules and best practices and provides guidance to departmental management.
Job Related Experience:
Minimum Level: 5-8 years
Preferred Level: 6-10 years
Business - Transportation Operations / Logistics
Engineering - Industrial Engineering
Engineering - Mechanical Engineering
Engineering - Civil Engineering
Occupational Health and Safety
Licenses / Certifications:
Preferred: Certified Safety Professional (CSP)
- Knowledge and understanding of safety and operating rules and their applications in field operations
Skills and Abilities:
Shift Work: Yes
Weekend Work: Yes
Travel Required: OVER 10 Days per Month
Since 1827, Norfolk Southern Corporation (NYSE: NSC) and its predecessor companies have safely moved the goods and materials that drive the U.S. economy. Today, it operates a customer-centric and operations-driven freight transportation network. Committed to furthering sustainability, Norfolk Southern helps its customers avoid 15 million tons of yearly carbon emissions by shipping via rail. Its dedicated team members deliver more than 7 million carloads annually, from agriculture to consumer goods, and is the largest rail shipper of auto products and metals in North America. Norfolk Southern also has the most extensive intermodal network in the eastern U.S., serving a majority of the country’s population and manufacturing base, with connections to every major container port on the Atlantic coast as well as the Gulf of Mexico and Great Lakes. Learn more by visiting www.NorfolkSouthern.com .
At Norfolk Southern, we believe in celebrating our individuality. By leveraging the unique backgrounds and viewpoints of our employees, we can create a culture of innovation, respect, and inclusion. We know that employees thrive in a workplace where differing viewpoints, ideas, and experiences are freely shared and valued. As such, we encourage all employees to contribute their distinctive skills and capabilities to our organization.
Equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, and gender identity. Together, we power progress.